Wednesday 14 November 2012

On Becoming a Homemaker ~ Step One: Sew yourself an apron.

Homemaker.
What does that word mean?
My initial feeling for the word was... to say the least, cringe-worthy. Yet, why?

Two words... Social conditioning.
I believe that society has been too focused on the 'revolution of women's rights' to see what that REALLY means!
We're told that to stay at home and not pursue a career is an outdated and primitive choice. That in doing so, those women let down the rest of the women in society and 'all they fought for'. Not true, I say!

The movement of women's rights and independence WASN'T about forcing the woman out of the home and into an 'equal' workforce with the men. No, not at all.
Women's independence movement was about women having the right to CHOOSE what they want to do... and if homemaking is that choice then by all means that is not going against the revolution! In fact it is a very noble and respectable profession.

Yes, homemaking IS a profession. An underpaid, overworked profession where the employee gives his/her ALL.
Homemakers are:
Cleaners
Launders
Child Carers
Referees and Peace Keepers
Councellors
Chauffers
Decorators
Maintenence Crew
Chefs
Bakers
Book Keepers
Tax Accountants
Nurses, Doctors and in some cases Midwives (you don't need a degree to know how to heal or birth)

and even, in some cases:
Gardeners
Farmers
Animal and livestock carers
Sewers
Teachers
and MORE!
No sick leave, no holidays, no pay, no financial bonuses, life insurance or superannuation. On call 24 hours a day, EVERY day.

Of course, conventional society doesn't accept this as a profession and most homemakers go unappreciated and even scrutinised by their peers.
Maybe if homemakers were paid, given sick leave and annual holidays, they may just be seen as worthy of gratitude and praise by others?
BAH HUMBUG to those critics!

I did a little googling for blogs about homemaking and how others felt about it and how they made it work for them. It changed my mind about everything.
I don't want to just be a 'housewife'... I WANT to be a better homemaker. So I am on a journey to discover homemaking and what it means for me.
My mother wasn't what I would exactly call a 'homemaker' and I don't feel that I learned any of those needed skills from her directly.
I've been out of home since I was 17. In those years I have learned many skills, but really don't put them to good use in combination.

I have to admit, that part of my slobbishness is because my house doesn't feel like home. Granted, I want to come back here after a long hard day out because it's what I know, but it's not "home". I have failed as a homemaker!

Our walls are bare, unsealed, unpainted gyprock walls that shed dust at the slightest breeze. We haven't been able to afford to paint it. I haven't been able to hang photo's and pictures on my walls like most can in their home.
I don't feel the pride one should, of their home. I am out to change this.
I am on a journey that will incorporate my current knowledge, with what I will learn.

So, without further ado...
ON BECOMING A HOMEMAKER ~ Step One.
Sew yourself an apron... or three, or more.

I admit, this was my third step, but I truly think it should be step one. So I'm posting it as step one.

I believe that with an apron comes pride, responsibility and a fresh perspective. Putting on an apron in the morning gets you in the mode, so to speak.
I didn't think it before, until I read this post on Down to Earth.

I chose to make this apron by , tweaked a touch.

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of different free apron tutorials out there on the net. A simple google will bring up many different styles to choose from, or take and combine to make your own.
I'm keen to try this gathering apron next, from On Just a Couple Acres.

Are you a proud homemaker?
Do you have an apron?
Please DO share a photo of yours, if you do.

~HH Mumma

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mrs Hippy from another homemaking Mrs Hippy! :D I found you via the Eco Mum.
    I know what you mean about your house and your apron and although I haven't sewed one myself (my mum seems to be stuck on the idea that aprons and oven mitts are great gifts for me and I have several of each) I do know that when I put on my apron I end up being a lot more productive and I move around the kitchen channeling my Nanna who was one of those amazing women who kept a tidy frugal home and could cook better than anyone I know. And I also find wearing a nice frock (I love vintage dresses from the 40's to early 60's) means I get into my groove even faster. Anyway, currently my favourite apron is the one I was given at Christmas which comes with a matching apron for my 3yo daughter. We look sooooo cute together in our hot pink with cupcakes aprons. :D

    ReplyDelete